Guides & Resources
Use these resources and guides to help you to prepare to be a coach, team member, judge, or volunteer at your local high school ethics bowl regional.
For Teams & Coaches
- 2018-2019 NHSEB School Registration will open on September 7, 2018 — don’t forget to also be in contact with your regional bowl at that time! Check back in early September for updates!
- Step-by-Step Instructions for NHSEB School Registration
- NHSEB Searchable Index and Archive of Regional and National Ethics Cases, 2012-2018
- Watch videos of National High School Ethics Bowl in action
- Team Guidelines — Please read this first: it contains rules, ideals, aims, and best practices that guide the NHSEB — taken from the NHSEB Rules, Procedures, and Guidelines. Note that ethical theories or moral philosophy is not required. The resources below are generously shared by NHSEB volunteer coaches and organizers across the nation. Thank you! We all share the same guidelines and ideals, but there are many different ways to prepare:
- NHSEB Coaching Advice produced by NHSEB HQ with contributions collected from long-time NHSEB coaches **NEW**
- A Guide to Preparing for the National High School Ethics Bowl by Gabriel Espinosa at Portland State University
- How to be an Ethics Bowl Coach compiled by Matt Deaton and Marcia McKelligan (DePauw University)
- The Educational Significance of the Ethics Bowl by Robert Ladenson, founder of ethics bowl
- Moral Reasoning Primer from the Tennessee High School Ethics Bowl at the University of Tennessee at Knoxville
- Ethics Bowl General Intro; Ethics Bowl 1: Consequentialism; Ethics Bowl 2: Kantian Ethics; Ethics Bowl 3: Virtue Ethics; Ethics Bowl 4: Case Studies — guides and presentations from Zoë Johnson King and the Michigan High School Ethics Bowl at the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor
- Watch a NHSEB judge training session — there is a ton of helpful material here for all kinds of participants of the NHSEB. Thanks to Steve Swartzer and the inaugural South Carolina High School Ethics Bowl at Wofford College!
- Judge Rules and Guidelines — Taken from the Rules, Procedures, and Guidelines, these outline the duties and aims of NHSEB judges.
- Judge Score Sheet
- Scoring Criteria
- Winner Tally Sheet
- Instructional Video for Judges by A2Ethics and University of Michigan, Department of Philosophy Outreach Program
- Quick Tips Video for NHSEB Judges by UNC Philosophy Outreach Undergraduates
- **NEW** Judge Training Session by NHSEB Executive Committee member Steve Swartzer
- Moderator Guidelines — Taken from the Rules, Procedures, and Guidelines, these outline the duties of NHSEB moderators.
- Moderator Procedures — Quick reference for competition day.
- Moderator Script (5 minutes)
- Moderator Script (6 minutes – for Nationals)
- Instructional Video for Moderator Training by A2Ethics and Michigan High School Ethics Bowl
NHSEB Instructional Videos — see our audio and video page for more!:
- Moderator Training by A2Ethics and Michigan High School Ethics Bowl
- High School Ethics Bowl Tips for Judges by A2Ethics and University of Michigan, Department of Philosophy Outreach Program
- Instructional Video for NHSEB Judges by UNC Philosophy Outreach Undergraduates
- What Does an Ethics Bowl Round Look Like? Video of Delaware Valley HSEB Final Round, hosted by Villanova University
Ethics & Philosophy Podcasts & Videos: